Thursday, January 17, 2013

Just in case you really want to know what I think about guns

"First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants!"
-The Si Robertson



So... Obviously people have been going a little cra-cra over the topic of gun control. President Obama came out yesterday with his concrete plan of action regarding it. I think it was a good one. People can still have guns (which is good because maybe people will stop posting memes about gun control, pictures of themselves with their guns in front of their fireplaces, etc. It's a little odd, people!)  BUT, don't you think these tragic acts of violence aren't actually all about the guns? 
I'm probably kinda ignorant because I practically know diddly squat about all the details of the second amendment... blah blah blah, BUT yeah. From my perspective, guns can't always be the problem. Taking guns away from people isn't going to end any violence. 

What about the kids that are allowed to sit in their basements all day playing Call of Duty? Or the kids whose parents who aren't involved one bit in their lives? To me, that is the source of the problem. Nothing the government can do will ever be able to change what we do inside our homes. 
What is it teaching kids when they watch uber violent movies and the "hero" is just like shooting people right and left without any punishment? It's just weird to me. 

Let's face the truth. I'm only 19 years old, and obviously I've never raised a child, so duh.. I don't know how hard it is. I am also not named Metta World Peace either, so yeah, I think guns are okay... maybe even necessary.

But hello, people! Bad things are happening here! Something obviously has gotta happen! I personally think it should start in the home through being more involved in the lives of children and having a control over how much of the junky violent media comes into the home. 

Obviously every situation is different, and obviously I am not super informed on the whole issue, but doesn't it just make sense that things that are happening in the homes probably are having the biggest impact on society? It's not just about whether you can go stock up on guns and ammunition. I think the violent tendencies and thoughts start a lot earlier than the moment the wackos have the guns in their hands. 

I bet we, as individual families, could probably make the biggest difference. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment